BYP Junior’s food adventure for March was French Toast! We went around to each of the classrooms demonstrating how to make it, and giving them the freshly made samples. We had a blast making french toast, and whirlwinding from classroom to classroom like a well-oiled machine, a French toast pit crew. The kids enjoyed watching us cook too, almost as much as they enjoyed eating it.
Here’s a gallery of our exploits:
If you want to see the recipe we used, here it is!
Butter or vegetable oil for cooking
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Salt
2 tsp Cinnamon
2 Tbs Vanilla extract
1 cup Whole milk
6 Slices of stale bread, sliced about 1″ thick
FOR EGG WASH
1. Beat the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
2. In a larger bowl, blend together the sugar, salt cinnamon, and nutmeg until the cinnamon is evenly distributed.
3. Add vanilla extract and stir to form a paste.
4. Gently whisk in the milk and stir until most of the sugar is dissolved.
5. Stir in beaten egg until the mixture is completely uniform.
FOR FRENCH TOAST
1. Set a large skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter.
2. While the butter is melting, dip one slice of bread into the egg wash until it is almost saturated.
3. Transfer to the hot skillet and cook until brown on both sides and set in the center.
4. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.